Friday, September 14, 2018

Robust Plants


I like plants that can stand up by themselves. I have been impressed with an Ironweed plant that I got a few years ago at a local plant sale. It is called ironweed because it stands tall and steady. I have ordered seeds to increase my planting of this beautiful "weed".




Another one that stands at attention is Autumn Joy sedum. I typically do not find sedum that appealing but this variety stays standing even after the weather turns cold providing some “winter interest” when most other plants crumble to a soggy mess.

Obviously, the bumble bees love it
For some otherwise desirable plants I will provide some help to stand up. This year I bought three “dinner plate dahlia” plants. They are spectacular and just keep producing. My favorite is this deep purple variety called “Thomas Edison”.


Unfortunately these plants are too big for their stems. Add some rain weight to the huge blooms and the stems split at the axils. I will plant these again next year but I will be quicker to add support stakes.


No comments:

Post a Comment